Saturday, August 1, 2015
In This Issue
- Orion's Military Talent: On Time; On Target [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Austin Area Businesses Join with Fort Hood to Help Soldiers Transition
- Warrior Hike Founder and Executive Director Sean Gobin Named 2015 CNN Hero
- Upcoming Hiring Conferences
- Meet Our Candidates
- National Distinguished Candidate Conference
- According to our Clients
- Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent
- Connect with Orion
Orion's Military Talent: On Time; On Target [INFOGRAPHIC]
Orion is the nation's leading provider of best-in-class Military Talent Programs which enable organizations to attract, hire, develop, and retain Military Talent. We are the subject matter experts in military hiring, and we have invested 24+ years in building and developing far-reaching networks into the military community. Rather than just providing the talent, we provide the right match, leading to an On Target hire -- the best possible fit for each candidate and client company we represent.
Want to know more about the veteran candidates we represent? Check out the infographic below or click here.
Austin Area Businesses Join with Fort Hood to Help Soldiers Transition
According to a recent News OK article, about 11,000 soldiers transition into civilian life out of Fort Hood every year. And many may not be prepared to find a civilian career. That is until now thanks to Col. Matt Elledge’s meeting with the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce in which he pitched the creation of a program that will place soldiers into intensive, 13-week fellowship programs with local companies. Called the Heroes Corporate Fellowship Academy, Elledge explains "If we can get the transitioning soldier into a company … they'll like what that soldier brings to the table."
Austin-based Mike Starich, CEO of Orion International, weighed in on the issue and explained that soldiers with technical and management skills often fare better as they transition. According to Starich, Oftentimes, those without directly translatable skills may “see these jobs at the Wal-Marts of the world or retail jobs as lower paying and they say, 'I'm better off taking the GI Bill and going to school or taking unemployment.'"
To overcome this gap, Elledge is calling for the military to get better at helping corporate America understand what soldiers bring to the table. And, according to News OK article, companies in Central Texas are listening. He has helped establish joint programs with the Austin chamber, work with several job-training organizations and bring local business leaders on post for job fairs and "a day in the life of a soldier" events.
Soldiers with fewer key skills might attend multiple job fairs on base and find few, good-paying options available to them. For these soldiers, without hard technical skills, there are an increasing number of options ranging from Austin Community College and Skillpoint Alliance. "There's a broad spectrum of support out there," concludes Starich. "But it all boils down to giving the person the skill sets to get a decent-paying job they'll be motivated to take instead of just accepting."
Warrior Hike Founder and Executive Director Sean Gobin Named 2015 CNN Hero
CNN recently released their list of 2015 CNN Heroes, one of whom is Sean Gobin, Founder and Executive Director of Warrior Hike. Sean’s organization supports combat veterans transitioning from their military service by thru-hiking America’s National Scenic Trails. CNN Heroes are selected because they represent the difference one person can make.
Orion is proud to have partnered with Warrior Hike last year for our Veteran Low to High Challenge, through which we raised more than $133,000 for our three partner veterans organizations, including Warrior Hike. We have joined with them again this year for the 2nd Annual Patriot Challenge 5K, which will be held in Cary, NC, on September 26, 2015.
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Orion Military Hiring Conferences – Interview Junior Military Officers,
Noncommissioned Officers and Enlisted Technicians Recruited for your Hiring Needs
An Orion Hiring Conference is your chance to interview the best military job seekers, selected specifically for your open positions. You will be presented with prescreened, qualified and suitably matched veterans that are interested in your available opportunities. Click on the dates below to learn more about our upcoming hiring conferences.
Meet Our Candidates
The battle for talent in the workplace can be fierce. It doesn't have to be if you know where to look. Below is a preview of actual Orion International candidates and the valuable skills and experience they possess.
Communications Officer; USNA Graduate View Resume
USMA Graduate with a Master's Degree View Resume
Navy Officer with a Mechanical Engineering Degree View Resume
Surface Warfare Officer View Resume
Maintenance Mechanic with Industry Experience View Resume
Aviation Electrician Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree View Resume
Navy Electrical Technician View Resume
Nuclear Electrician View Resume
National Distinguished Candidate Conference
Mark your calendar for our upcoming National Distinguished Candidate Conference:
August 31-September 1, 2015
Since 1991, our clients have told us that the most important factor in deciding to hire military through an agency is the Quality of Candidate. Our unique Distinguished Candidate Conference is designed to recruit, assess, screen, and present the top military candidates for your hiring needs. In 2014, nearly 100 client companies strategically hired Orion’s Military Officers through our Distinguished Candidate Conferences, with over 40% making multiple hires.
Orion’s Distinguished Candidates are carefully selected and represent the very top tier of Military Officers transitioning from Active Duty. They are seeking careers in growth roles including Leadership Development, Operations Management, Engineering, and Sales.
Our Junior Military Officer Candidates at these National Events:
- Service Academy Graduates and graduates of the nation’s top universities.
- Candidates with MBAs and other advanced degrees; and those with PMPs, PEs, and other professional certifications.
- Candidates who have consistently ranked well above their peers in their professional military evaluations.
- Willing to relocate and geographically flexible.
Distinguished Candidate Conference Highlights:
- This event will feature 30 minute Client Presentations in which you can present to the candidates you’ll be interviewing in advance. We recommend a C-level or VP Presenter for client presentations.
- Enjoy an additional opportunity for socializing with the candidates and other Hiring Managers, at our President’s Reception following the Keynote Address on Monday evening.
- Pre-screened, assessed, qualified Officer Candidates suitably matched for your particular hiring needs.
- A private and professional interview setting.
- Personalized attention to ensure the best in customer service, including insight on the candidates and advice on the most effective hiring strategy.
In addition, Orion’s Executive Leadership Team will be available throughout the event to meet and discuss your company’s talent planning and how our dedicated on-boarding programs, assessment tools, and other enterprise-scale service offerings may be able to support your organization in 2015 and beyond.
What do our clients have to say about the caliber of candidates at an Orion Distinguished Candidate Conference?
"Our experience at Orion's Distinguished Candidate Conference was a great success. The candidates were of the highest caliber and extremely well matched for our Leadership Development Program. This event enabled us to hire 5 outstanding JMOs very efficiently, saving weeks of time. I look forward to seeing the impact these new leaders will have on BP." - Program Manager, BP
The Distinguished Candidate Conference enables you to develop a strong pipeline of future leaders and foster strategic organizational growth.
Learn more about our Distinguished Candidate Conferences and discover for yourself the impact a Military Officer can have on your organization.
According to our Clients
Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent
Is your company or that of a friend or colleague in need of military talent? For every referral you provide, you will be automatically entered into our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card. Even better, if your referral results in a hire, you will personally receive a $100 gift card as our way of saying thank you. As always, we will maintain your privacy and never share your information nor that of your referral.
Connect with Orion
Did you know that there are several ways to connect with Orion and learn how veterans impact the civilian workforce?
- You can join our LinkedIn group for employers, Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet®. This group is a great way to show your support of veterans in the civilian workforce. In addition, we have recently launched the Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet® for Veterans subgroup for all Veteran members who are interested in networking and learning about career opportunities.
- Read our blog, Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet®. This blog covers everything from veterans in the news to general employer-employee relations. Check it out!
- You can follow Orion on Twitter (@hirevets) to receive updates about Orion, learn about upcoming hiring events, and find links to articles of interest.
- Orion is now on Google+! Follow us to keep up to date on all things Orion.