Wednesday, April 17, 2013
President Obama Calls for Permanent Tax Credits for Hiring Veterans
Under President Obama, there have been wide-ranging legislation and programs designed to train, educate, license, and employ veterans, including Joining Forces, the Veteran Gold Card, Veterans Job Bank, Veteran Skills to Job Act, and Veteran’s Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). In this ongoing effort to quell veteran unemployment, the Obama Administration has also incentivized employers for hiring veterans through two tax credits, Returning Heroes and Wounded Warriors tax credits.
Set to expire December 31, 2013, the Returning Heroes Tax credit provides incentives of up to $5,600 for hiring unemployed veterans, and the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit doubles the existing Work Opportunity Tax Credit for long-term unemployed veterans with service-connected disabilities, to up to $9,600. Signed into law in November 2011, the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended the credits through this year.
On April 5, President Obama addressed their expiration by including a permanent provision for them in his FY2014 Budget. Information released by The White House Blog by Denis McDonough, Chief of Staff to President Obama, and Gene Sperling, Director of the National Economic Council and Assistant to the President for Economic Policy, indicates that there has been a near doubling of the number of veterans hired through tax credits in 2012 when compared to the previous year. McDonough and Sperling call these tax credits “a critical tool to spur more robust hiring of some of our nation’s most skilled workers.”
The last few years have brought about many initiatives aimed at facilitating veterans’ transition to the civilian workplace, and a permanent tax credit for hiring veterans would be yet another in a long list of reasons why companies should seek out veterans for their open positions. From the technical, leadership, and operational skills inherent in veterans, to the non-tangible skills like integrity, teamwork, and efficiency, companies who hire veterans are not just availing themselves of a tax credit, but adding a valued employee to their team.
To learn more about these tax credits, click here.
Veteran Employment Summit Reveals Increase in Veteran Hiring
Following the first National Veteran Employment Summit on December 12, 2012, Monster and Military.com have released a report detailing findings and recommendations for both hiring and retaining veterans.
The Summit was composed of senior military and government officials, academic leaders, human resource professionals, and military veterans and covered the issue of veteran employment from the veterans’s viewpoint, as well as the employer’s and the government’s. The resulting report, which provides five key recommendations for employers, provides a sunny forecast for veterans transitioning into the civilian sector.
Despite a seven percent drop in career confidence, according to the Veterans Talent Index, employers are increasingly hiring veterans. The same index shows that 69% of the 750 employers surveyed, hired a veteran in the past year. 99.9% said that they were doing as well or better than their nonveteran peers. And nearly all would recommend hiring a veteran to another company.
According to the report, there are two main challenges facing transitioning veterans today: they feel pigeon-holed in their military occupational specialty (MOS) and they feel unprepared for the civilian job market. Both of these hurdles can be overcome when both veterans and employers work to better understand one another.
Veterans can surmount the first hurdle of skills translation by spending more time relating their military skill sets to corporate job skills. My Next Move is a very useful resource introduced as part of the White House’s Joining Forces initiative where you can search for career fields based on your interests, browse career fields by industry, or, most importantly, enter your MOC and translate it directly to a civilian career field.
And while translators like may not be the final word on what you are qualified for, they can give you keywords related to your MOS that might point you in the direction of your new career. You can also visit Transition Corner, which covers this topic in depth.
Veterans feeling unprepared for life outside the military will find a new level of support and training in the newly revamped Transition GPS program. Developed by the Veterans Employment Initiative Task Force, Transition GPS will be implemented by the end of 2013 and will extend the transition program period from 3 days to 5-7 days; strengthen, standardize, and expand counseling and guidance for service members before leaving the military; and transform the military’s approach to education, training, and credentialing for service members.
Now is a great time to begin searching for a civilian career, as veteran employment has never been so prominently featured in the national discourse. American companies are increasingly recognizing what a talented group our nation’s veterans are and are turning to these job candidates to find the future leaders of their companies.
Kevin Schmiegel, Vice President of Hiring Our Heroes at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce spoke at the Summit and said it best: "[Veterans] are team players, they have an incredible work ethic, they can change a business fundamentally and improve productivity.”
Click here to read the report in full.
Job Seeker Success Story
Anthony Carter, Field Service Specialist
I am extremely pleased with where I am now. When I first started job hunting, I became discouraged very quickly, because I could not find a job that would pay anywhere close to what I was earning in the military along with having benefits. Before I started interviewing through Orion, I submitted my resume to 76 different companies, had three face-to-face interviews, and had one phone interview. None of the companies had any benefits, and they weren't willing to give me much for pay.
Orion met and surpassed all the job requirements that I set forth. I asked for a job that was within the surrounding states; and I now work in Maryland, only four hours away. I asked for the company to have good benefits, because I have to look out for my family, as well. Siemens has medical, dental, vision, 401k, and a lot more. And the criteria that I thought would make it tough would be earning no less than $50,000 a year. Orion made that happen, then some.
Tony Hoffman was my recruiter, and he was very straight forward, honest, and respectful. My first actual interview was at a January hiring conference where I interviewed with six companies, got three second interviews, and two job offers.
I am now working at Siemens as a Field Service Specialist. The job is fast paced and continually changing as it was for me in the military. I was a Construction Mechanic E-5 in the Navy and feel that the experience that I gained made me a well-rounded tradesman with many skills. This meant I could choose the field in which I wanted to go, not just sticking with the field that matched my rate. Through the military I achieved many certifications and experiences, including HVAC, which is the field that I chose to go with.
Within three weeks of getting out of the military, I was hired on with Siemens. I could not have found a better recruiting company than Orion. The companies may be the ones who pay them, but you are their priority. And they perform their job like professionals. Thank you, Orion and Tony!
Careers with ConocoPhillips
Orion International is currently recruiting for multiple career opportunities with ConocoPhillips, one of the world’s largest independent Exploration and Production companies based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With over 16,000 employees worldwide ConocoPhillips is active in almost 30 countries.
ConocoPhillips explores for, produces, transports and markets crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, liquefied natural gas and bitumen on a worldwide basis. Key focus areas include safely operating producing assets, executing existing major projects, and exploring for new resources in promising areas.
We are currently recruiting for:
- I&E Technician System Specialist, Goldsmith, TX
- Plant Operator, Lysite, WY
- I&E Technician, Beeville, TX
- Utility Person, Gulf of Mexico
- Able-Bodied Seaman, Gulf of Mexico
- Mess Person, Gulf of Mexico
Click here to learn more and apply to be considered.
Industrial Maintenance Technician Careers in the Steel Industry
We are currently recruiting Electricians, Electronic Technicians, Fire Controlmen, and Nuke Electronics/Electricians for Industrial Maintenance Technician positions with a large steel manufacturer.
In this position, you will perform hands-on electrical and/or mechanical inspection, calibration, and preventative maintenance primarily responsible for system and component level troubleshooting, repair, and optimization of primary steel production lines and equipment.
- Perform electrical/electronic or mechanical repair and maintenance on equipment used in steel production
- Maintenance and repair of all electrical/electronic devices or mechanical equipment in the mill
- Repair and mechanical optimization of industrial drive and PLC/other closed loop control systems
- Identify, design and implement changes/upgrades to increase the productivity or reliability of the process
- Understand the steel making process and integrate this knowledge with the knowledge of process control systems in order to improve productivity, quality and reliability
Location: Ghent, KY (45 miles SW of Cincinnati)
Shift Work: The normal operating schedule is divided up into 4 teams that rotate 12 hour shifts according to the following schedule: 4 days/7 off ; 4 nights/3 off ; 3 days/1 off ; 3 nights/3 off. The rotation includes 12 hours every 4 weeks of built in O/T on-top of any normal O/T you would perform as part of maintenance operations.
- Must be able to start by June 15
- Strong electrical knowledge of medium and low voltage electrical systems, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, breakers and power distribution systems, motors, motor control equipment, instrumentation, PLC’s and AC/DC drives for mechanical systems.
- Computer knowledge, networking, and any programming experience is a real plus.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an industrial electrician position or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Aptitude for learning and will be taught (classroom and/or experience) the more complex skills of the industry such as PLC programming and drive systems if they show strong theoretical knowledge, a high work ethic, and a commitment to learn and perform in this role.
Salary: Total First Year is $75,000 - $88,000, broken down into hourly rate of $25-28 + O/T + 50% quarterly + 50% annual bonus.
Interviews will be held May 14. Email us to learn more or apply.
Technical Careers with Phillips 66
Orion is recruiting for a large number of technical positions with Phillips 66, an advantaged downstream energy company. This opportunity is brought to military veterans exclusively through Orion. Phillips 66 seeks strong former Military candidates with great leadership, solid education, great technical skills and relatable experience.
We are hiring for a variety of position types, including:
Instrument & Electrical Technicians (Click here to read position description.)
Pipefitters / Welders (Click here to read position description.)
Pump Mechanics (Click here to read position description.)
- May 10-11, 2013 in Borger, TX, for Pump and Engine Mechanic positions
- May 17, 2013 in Bella Chasse, LA, for Plant Operator positions
Please click here for more information.
Route Sales Representative Careers with Nestle Waters
Orion is recruiting for a number of positions with Nestle Waters, a bottled water division of the Nestle Group, a multinational food and beverage company. This is your chance to begin your civilian career with a globally recognized company in the food and beverage industry.
We are currently recruiting for Route Sales Representatives in a number of locations, including Houston, TX; Lanham, MD; and Kearny, NJ.
As the Route Sales Representative, you will be responsible for effectively selling and delivering Nestle Water products to commercial and residential customers. The primary role of the Route Sales Representative is contact between the company and our customers; therefore, candidates must have/demonstrate a fundamental commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
Position Locations: Houston, TX; Lanham, MD; Dracut, MA; Syossett, NY; San Francisco, CA.
Salary: Compensation is $39,500 - $46,000, depending on location. Bonuses are provided, depending on location.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Prior service in the US Military
- Ability to secure and/or maintain CDL Class B with airbrake endorsement
- MVR - In last three years: Only one license; no driving-related suspension, revocation or cancellation; no disqualifying offenses; no more than two moving violations; and no reckless driving incidents.
- In the last seven years, no major driving offenses - i.e. DUI/DWI, reckless driving, refusal to test, leaving the scene, driving a commercial vehicle without a CDL, or at fault fatal accident.
Click here to learn more.
Data Center Technician Careers with a Leading Global Provider of Online Services
Orion is currently recruiting for a large number of Data Center Technicians for a leading global provider of online services. This is your chance to begin your career with one of the world’s most recognized and respected companies.
As a Data Center Technician, you will be responsible for designing and operating some of the most sophisticated electrical and HVAC systems in the world. Responsibilities Include:
- Operating, monitoring and supporting all facilities activity at the data centers
- Taking ownership of the operation and maintenance of water pumps and treatment systems, HVAC, UPS, generators, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems
- Implementing best-in-class environmental practices
- Bringing the ideas of the Data Center Engineers to life and developing creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving efficiencies
- Ensuring that problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services and preventive maintenance, and that safety measures are being performed
- Responding to data center performance issues and outages to minimize recovery time from failures in emergency situations or abnormal conditions
- Helping inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems (e.g., piping, cooling, and non-critical electrical system components)
- Providing daily assistance to senior technicians by reading blueprints/schematics, conducting tours of systems and assessing their working order
Position Locations: Caldwell County, NC; Mayes County, OK; Council Bluffs, IA; The Dalles, OR; Berkeley County, SC. Learn more about position locations.
Salary: $55k-$65k, depending on experience.
Benefits: Full benefits, including potential bonus and stock grants.
- Associate's degree, trade school certification or other verifiable training in a relevant technical field (in lieu of degree, 2 years of relevant work experience).
- 2 years’ experience at journeyman or technician level in a critical environment, or 2 years of equivalent military related experience.
- Universal Refrigerant Handler’s certification is preferred for mechanical applicants.
- Data center, hospital or power plant experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units.
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours or when on-call.
Click here to learn more or apply.
Technical Careers with Siemens Corporation
Orion is currently recruiting for a large volume of technical positions across all segments of Siemens Corporation within the U.S.
Over the last ten years, Orion has placed over 520 former and transitioning military job seekers into great careers within Siemens divisions including Building Technologies, Water, Healthcare & Medical, Energy and Mobility. Siemens is ranked #47 on the Fortune Global 500, and # 1 on the Electronics and Electrical Equipment Industry list. Siemens is the second largest non-government employer in the world, reporting worldwide revenue exceeding $120 Billion in 2011.
- Field Service and Field Operations;
- Technical and Service Support;
- Materials and Logistics;
- Quality Assurance and Control;
- Facilities and Project Engineering.
To be considered for these positions you must be a Military Technician with an Electronics, Electrical, HVAC or AC & R background.
Please visit us online if you are interested in learning more.
Service Technician Positions with Bridgestone
Orion has partnered by Bridgestone, a leading tire production company since the early 20th century to offer career opportunities for those seeking a rewarding career after the military. This is your chance to begin your career with a growing company.
We are currently recruiting for Service Technicians – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technicians in Aiken, SC and Wilson, NC. The Service Technician – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician position is a multi-craft position in electrical, mechanical, and electronic skills.
To be qualified for this position, you must have an Associate’s degree in Electronics, General Technology, Robotics, or related field and 2+ years in industrial maintenance experience, or 3+ years similar experience plus military background.
Click here for more information.
Maintenance Positions with The Hershey Company
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA
Attention Goose Creek Sailors - Advanced Resume Writing Class
An Orion Recruiter will be hosting an Advanced Resume Writing class at Goose Creek Naval Base on Wednesday, May 29th from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. The class will be held at the Fleet and Family Support Center. To register, please visit the front desk.
For more information please contact Todd Hecht, (800) 872-5002 x. 142, the Orion Recruiter who will be hosting the class.
According to Your Peers
Earn $100 for Every Referral that Finds their Career through Orion
Did you know that Orion candidates have already earned $1800 in referral bonuses already in 2013?
For every job seeker you refer to us who is subsequently placed by Orion, we will give you a $100 gift card to a retailer of your choice!
It's simple - just click here to refer a friend. 30 seconds of your time could be $100 in your pocket!
Companies Recently Hiring
The ABB Group
Hitachi High Technology
HSB Global Standards
Connect with Orion Online
Follow us to keep up-to-date on all things Orion, including hiring events, base visits, webinars, and news pertinent to veterans through our social media listed below.
Join Orion’s Military Network on LinkedIn
Join Orion on Facebook
Read Orion's Blog
Orion is Tweeting
Follow us on Google+