Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Industry Spotlight: Logistics
No matter the industry, logistics are what keeps it moving. Supply chain, operations, quality engineering, and inventory control are all a part of making sure goods get from their point of origin to their point of consumption. Thought to have originated from the ancient Greek and Roman military's need to supply itself as it moved around, it is only fitting that veterans are powering this very important job function.
Samantha Holys, a former Army Captain Medical Service Officer and instructor of Medical Logistics, is a great example of how training in military logistics translates into civilian logistics. Now a Corporate Warehouse Supervisor with Best Buy, Holys explains how her military experience helps in her civilian career: “I was very fortunate to have worked in the logistics field for the last several years in the Army. I think it is a great fit for me. I feel like Military Officers encompass many of the skills employers are seeking in today's market, such as leadership and the flexibility to work under difficult and demanding circumstances and still complete the mission.”
And completing the mission is what logistics is really all about—making sure all the moving pieces come together when, where, and how they’re supposed to. With this definition in mind, here are four career fields within logistics in which veterans have found particular success:
Supply Chain Analysis
Veterans have experience moving people, fuel, and materiel over long distances under difficult conditions. Mission-oriented, veterans are able to evaluate multiple variables in constantly changing conditions to get the right amounts of what they need where they need it. Additionally, JMOs have experience with inventory and supply databases, technology, and software systems.
No two days are the same in the military, and veterans understand how to lead while staying flexible to get the job done. Veterans have experience building and leading diverse teams and dealing with different groups of people. Whether biggest customer or hourly laborer, they maintain respect for each individual. And the military’s as a dedication to safety translates into a safe civilian workplace environment. From the loading dock, to the warehouse, to the pier, veterans are the prime movers getting the job done with the highest production and lowest possible cost.
Quality Engineering and Improvement
During the mid to late 90s, companies became increasingly aware of the relationship between quality, waste, cost, and efficiency. Veterans were brought in to help improve and influence change in the logistics trains of many companies. This occurred through quality initiative programs that included six sigma programs or upgrading technology and machinery. Veterans are often the change agents companies seek.
Inventory Control Management
From MREs to missiles, the military has a constant need for inventory control. Veterans have experience in maintaining inventory control with the latest computer systems and technology. From tracking cargo across oceans, to maintaining an orderly warehouse, they are trained to do things right the first time and know how to take care of their customers.
With 100+ different military occupational specialties (MOS) across all branches related to logistics, veterans may see a direct correlation between a Marine Corps Logistics Officer, a Senior Army Noncommissioned Logistician, or an Air Force Logistics Readiness Officer, and civilian logistics positions. But they should also consider the logistics inherent in many, many other MOSs. Indeed, officers and enlisted alike are poised to make an impact on the logistics of industries ranging from construction to manufacturing to retail.
Distinguished Military Technician Conference - September 15 - 16 in Jacksonville, FL
Careers with ConocoPhillips
Orion International is currently recruiting for multiple career opportunities with ConocoPhillips, one of the world’s largest independent Exploration and Production companies based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With over 17,000 employees worldwide ConocoPhillips is active in almost 30 countries.
ConocoPhillips explores for, produces, transports and markets crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, liquefied natural gas and bitumen on a worldwide basis. Key focus areas include safely operating producing assets, executing existing major projects, and exploring for new resources in promising areas.
We are currently recruiting for:
I&E Technician, Farmington, NM
- Network Analyst, Houston, TX
- Rotating Equipment Supervisor, Farmington, NM
- Compression Technician, Farmington, NM
- Multi-Skilled Operator, Gulf of Mexico
Utility Person, Gulf of Mexico
Able-Bodied Seaman, Gulf of Mexico
- Mess Person, Gulf of Mexico
Click here to learn more and apply to be considered.
Interview with Phillips 66 on August 23 & 24
Orion is recruiting for a large number of technical positions with Phillips 66, an advantaged downstream energy company. This opportunity is brought to military veterans exclusively through Orion. Phillips 66 seeks strong former Military candidates with great leadership, solid education, great technical skills and relatable experience.
We are hiring for a variety of position types, including:
Instrument & Electrical Technicians (Click here to read position description.)
Pipefitters / Welders (Click here to read position description.)
Pump Mechanics (Click here to read position description.)
- Assistant Operators (Click here to read position description.)
- Plant Operators (Click here to read position description.)
Please click here for more information.
Manufacturing Careers in Dallas/Fort-Worth for Combat Veterans
Orion International is currently recruiting talented combat veterans for manufacturing positions with a leading plastics manufacturer in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, area. These are temporary-to-permanent positions, where you will be an Orion employee for the first 120 days with the expectation of becoming a permanent employee of our client after good performance during the first 120 days. In these positions, you will work seven out of 14 days on a rotating shift alternating between days and nights.
- Production Lead
- Maintenance Technician
- Machine Technician
- Machine Operator
- Recently and Honorably discharged veterans, no exceptions.
- OIF and OEF combat veterans preferred.
- Open to all MOSs and Branches but must possess strong mechanical acumen and proven mechanical aptitude.
- Must be open to working a rotating shift - must be available to work a non-traditional schedule that includes days, nights and weekends, no exceptions.
- Must be able to start work NLT 27 September 2013.
- NO RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE for this position. Must be a local candidate or able to readily self relocate, no exceptions.
Interviews will be held on September 6, with start dates to shortly follow offers.
Click here to learn more or apply.
Data Center Technician Careers with a Leading Global Provider of Online Services
Orion is currently recruiting for a large number of Data Center Technicians for a leading global provider of online services. This is your chance to begin your career with one of the world’s most recognized and respected companies.
As a Data Center Technician, you will be responsible for designing and operating some of the most sophisticated electrical and HVAC systems in the world. Responsibilities Include:
- Operating, monitoring and supporting all facilities activity at the data centers
- Taking ownership of the operation and maintenance of water pumps and treatment systems, HVAC, UPS, generators, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems
- Implementing best-in-class environmental practices
- Bringing the ideas of the Data Center Engineers to life and developing creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving efficiencies
- Ensuring that problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services and preventive maintenance, and that safety measures are being performed
- Responding to data center performance issues and outages to minimize recovery time from failures in emergency situations or abnormal conditions
- Helping inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems (e.g., piping, cooling, and non-critical electrical system components)
- Providing daily assistance to senior technicians by reading blueprints/schematics, conducting tours of systems and assessing their working order
Position Locations: Caldwell County, NC; Mayes County, OK; Council Bluffs, IA; The Dalles, OR; Berkeley County, SC. Learn more about position locations.
Salary: $55k-$65k, depending on experience.
Benefits: Full benefits, including potential bonus and stock grants.
- Associate's degree, trade school certification or other verifiable training in a relevant technical field (in lieu of degree, 2 years of relevant work experience).
- 2 years’ experience at journeyman or technician level in a critical environment, or 2 years of equivalent military related experience.
- Universal Refrigerant Handler’s certification is preferred for mechanical applicants.
- Data center, hospital or power plant experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units.
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours or when on-call.
Click here to learn more or apply.
Technical Careers with Siemens Corporation
Orion is currently recruiting for a large volume of technical positions across all segments of Siemens Corporation within the U.S.
Over the last ten years, Orion has placed over 520 former and transitioning military job seekers into great careers within Siemens divisions including Building Technologies, Water, Healthcare & Medical, Energy and Mobility. Siemens is ranked #47 on the Fortune Global 500, and # 1 on the Electronics and Electrical Equipment Industry list. Siemens is the second largest non-government employer in the world, reporting worldwide revenue exceeding $103 Billion in 2012.
- Field Service and Field Operations;
- Technical and Service Support;
- Materials and Logistics;
- Quality Assurance and Control;
- Facilities and Project Engineering.
To be considered for these positions you must be a Military Technician with an Electronics, Electrical, HVAC or AC & R background.
Please visit us online if you are interested in learning more.
Wind Turbine Technician Careers with Gemini Energy Services
Gemini Energy Services, a Division of Orion International, is Seeking Wind Turbine Technicians for Traveling Field Technician Positions.
Gemini’s mission statement is to create solutions to complex wind turbine commissioning, operations, maintenance, service and installation challenges through a superior workforce, rigorous training, and safe operations.
Gemini has a focus on hiring former military men and women because of their highly technical backgrounds; they include avionics technicians, radar technicians, aviation electricians, electronics technicians, and more. Prior military technicians make ideal Gemini Turbine Technicians due to the similarities between their technical backgrounds (including component-level electronic and mechanical troubleshooting) and actual equipment within the industry. These skill sets are applicable and necessary because of the increasingly advanced equipment being installed as wind technology evolves.
Gemini's services to the wind industry include:
• Operations and Maintenance
• Construction Support
• Major Component Changeout
• Warranty Services
• Remote Monitoring
Wind Turbine Technician Description:
This position is responsible for the installation, commissioning, and maintenance of wind turbine generators. You will perform testing, troubleshooting and repair of mechanical and electrical problems on variable pitch, variable speed turbines. You will assist in other areas of site construction, installation and commissioning as required and directed by designated site supervision.
Salary: $18/hour, plus overtime (average of 10-20 hrs of overtime per week when traveling).
Location: You can live anywhere in the United States within a reasonable distance to an airport.
Requirements: This position is a traveling position and you must be able to travel up to 6 weeks at a time and work up to 50-60 hours per week if needed, to meet project and maintenance schedules. You will perform weekend operations and repair of wind turbine generators as needed. You need the ability to consistently climb wind turbine towers up to 300 feet in height, up to 3 times a day.
To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Familiarity with Direct Current Electricity, Alternating Current Electricity and Electronics.
- Familiarity with Voltage Testers, Multimeters, Amp Clamps, Oscilloscopes, Meghommeters, Infrared Testers, Voltage Test Procedures, Lock Out Tag Out, Electric Static Discharge (ESD), Hydraulics, Accumulator Charging, Crane Hand Signals, Soldering, Fasteners, Torquing, Hytorques, Fiber Optics, First Aid.
- Must have clean DMV record and ability to operate service trucks as required.
- Ability to train other employees in operations, maintenance & repair procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Click here to learn more.
Careers with PCC Forged Products
Orion is currently recruiting for PCC Forged Products. Under its Forged Products division, PCC is the world-leading producer of complex forgings and high-performance nickel-based alloys and super alloys for aerospace, power generation, and general industrial applications.
- Maintenance Supervisor (Click here for more info.)
- Operations Supervisor (Click here for more info.)
We are currently recruiting for positions in these locations:
- Houston, TX
- Grafton, MA
- Monroe, NC
- Huntington, WV
- Los Angeles, CA
To learn more, please click here.
Route Sales Representative Careers with Nestle Waters
Orion is recruiting for Route Sales Representatives with Nestle Waters, a bottled water division of the Nestle Group, a multinational food and beverage company. This is your chance to begin your civilian career with globally recognized company in the food and beverage industry.
These positions are located in Phoenix, AZ; Framingham, MA; Houston, TX; Dallas, TX; Lanham, MD; Dracut, MA; Syossett, NY; San Francisco, CA; Long Island City, NY; Oakland, CA; and Kearny, NJ.
We will be holding interviews for Route Sales Representative positions on the following dates:
August 30th, with field rides occurring on September 3rd
August 26th, with field rides occurring on August 27th
September 26th, with field rides occurring on September 27th
September 5th, with field rides occurring on September 6th
October 10th, with field rides occurring on October 11th
August 29th, with field rides occurring on August 30th
September 19th, with field rides occurring on September 20th
October 24th, with field rides occurring on October 25th
Click here to learn more.
Service Technician Positions with Bridgestone
Orion has partnered by Bridgestone, a leading tire production company since the early 20th century to offer career opportunities for those seeking a rewarding career after the military. This is your chance to begin your career with a growing company.
We are currently recruiting for Service Technicians – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technicians in Aiken, SC and Wilson, NC. The Service Technician – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician position is a multi-craft position in electrical, mechanical, and electronic skills.
To be qualified for this position, you must have an Associate’s degree in Electronics, General Technology, Robotics, or related field and 2+ years in industrial maintenance experience, or 3+ years similar experience plus military background.
Click here for more information.
Attention Goose Creek Sailors - Advanced Resume Writing Class
Todd Hecht, an Orion Recruiter, will be visiting Goose Creek, SC, Wednesday, September 25th from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, where he will be hosting an Advanced Resume Writing Class. This class will cover all aspects of writing a resume – why a resume is so important, what you should and shouldn’t include, how to write a resume that is easily understood by a civilian hiring manager, and much more.
Advanced Resume Writing Class - Wednesday, September 25th, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Fleet and Family Support Center
1005 Jefferson Avenue, Building 755
Goose Creek, SC
For more information please contact Todd Hecht, the Orion Recruiter who will be hosting the class, at (800) 872-5002 x. 142.
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Norfolk, VA (Midwest positions)
San Diego, CA
Upcoming Base Visits
Hiring Our Heroes (Hartford, CT)
San Diego Military Personnel – Meet with an Orion Recruiter
Throughout August & September, Jim Lewis, an Orion Technical Recruiter, will be visiting Naval Station San Diego, Naval Sub Base Point Loma, and Naval Air Station North Island. Each Monday, he will meet with military personnel to discuss their marketability, assist in outlining career options, and give invaluable information to begin planning the path to their next career.
For more information on meeting with Jim to discuss your transition from the military, please email him or call (888) 756-7466 x 223.
According to Your Peers
Earn $100 for Every Referral that Finds their Career through Orion
Did you know that Orion candidates have already earned $2200 in referral bonuses already in 2013?
For every job seeker you refer to us who is subsequently placed by Orion, we will give you a $100 gift card to a retailer of your choice!
It's simple - just click here to refer a friend. 30 seconds of your time could be $100 in your pocket!
Companies Recently Hiring
Google Data Centers
HSB Global Standards
Connect with Orion Online
Follow us to keep up-to-date on all things Orion, including hiring events, base visits, webinars, and news pertinent to veterans through our social media listed below.
Join Orion’s Military Network on LinkedIn
Join Orion on Facebook
Read Orion's Blog
Orion is Tweeting
Follow us on Google+