Wednesday, January 15, 2014
New Year's Resolutions for Your Job Search
Now that the holiday rush is over, it’s time to start jumping back into the job search. During the first quarter, hiring kicks up for most businesses as new goals are made for the upcoming year. Hiring activity increases as employers take on more employees to meet these new objectives, according to Kathleen Brady, a career coach based in New York City.
With these optimistic trends, now is a good a time as any to start your job search full swing, and with these career-based Resolutions, you may be ringing in the New Year with a new career.
Schedule Your Time. Set aside a time each day dedicated to the job search. Decide how long you want to spend each day (an hour is a good rule of thumb), and stick to it. If you need to, mark it in your calendar, set your Outlook or Google calendar, or put a reminder on your phone.
Clean Up your Online Presence. Employers don’t just look at your resume and LinkedIn profile anymore, they now peruse your Facebook pages and Twitter feeds as well. Last year, InsideFacebook reported a study from CareerBuilder in which 37 percent of employers admitted to viewing applicants’ social pages during the hiring process. Take down or set stricter privacy settings on anything that may be questionable, and in the future keep in mind any future bosses that may be looking at your profiles.
Update Your Resume and Personalize Your Cover Letter. It’s a new year, so make sure that your resume and cover letter reflects your newest career accomplishments and goals that you achieved over the last year.
Track Your Activity and Contacts. Since the average job search is anywhere from three to nine months (especially for an entry-level job), you will more than likely be in contact with many different types of people, companies, and positions over the course of your job search. It may be wise to create an Excel spreadsheet with all relevant information about each of the positions that you have applied for, along with a calendar to keep track of important dates and information, including interview dates, follow-up emails, thank you notes, etc.
Target Your Job Search. With hiring trends in your favor, now is the time to start taking a more selective approach to not only the types of positions that you are applying for, but also the companies and industry. Think about what kind of work environment, job duties, and type of work that you enjoy, and hone in your job search to reflect those qualities. Quality, not quantity will help you find a job that is a perfect fit for your and your desires.
Expand Your Network. While it’s great to apply to positions through job boards such as Monster and CareerBuilder, only a small percentage of jobs are found through these sites. Don’t forget about the importance of building relationships with those who have connections in an area that you are interested. LinkedIn is a great source to find, connect, and meet professionals who can help you build a better career.
For those transitioning out of the military, Orion International offers great tools to help you get started in your career search. You can find resume help, interview preparation, military transition timelines, and more on our Transition Corner page.
Happy New Year, and happy job hunting!
How to Prepare for an Orion Hiring Conference
Are you ready to find your civilian career at an Orion Hiring Conference? With more than 50 Orion Hiring Conferences coming up in 2014, a Hiring Conference is your chance to interview with hiring managers for positions that are a match with your background, skills, and preferences. Regardless of your background and previous interview experience, it is critical that you take the time to prepare for your Orion Hiring Conference.
Over the years, our Recruiting Team has seen a marked difference in the success of those who properly prepare for conference and those who do not, and as a result we have developed a 4-step program to help you succeed.
Step 1- Interview Preparation
Read our materials on interviewing fundamentals, interview structure, and common mistakes, and ask yourself as many practice questions as you possibly can. It is important that you verbalize your answers to the practice questions. Time permitting, you should read at least one book from the suggested reading list.
Step 2 – Watch our 20-minute online presentation, and attend a webinar held by your Recruiter.
In the weeks leading up to your Hiring Conference, your Recruiter will hold a telephone Webinar focusing on how to best prepare for the event. Your recruiter will discuss detailed preparation instructions, logistics for the event, best practices, as well as providing you the opportunity to ask questions.
Watch Orion’s 20-minute online presentation, “Preparing for a Hiring Conference"
Step 3 – Company Research
In the week prior to your Hiring Conference, we will call you to discuss your company lineup. It is important that you research the companies you will be interviewing with before the conference. You should have some basic knowledge on the company prior to the conference including general industry information, company products, market share, competitors and history.
Depending on the company and position you are interviewing for, we may provide you with additional research, testing preparation or other requirements prior to the conference. To give yourself the very best chance for success, it is imperative that you follow all recommendations that we provide.
Step 4 – Interview Workshop
The final step of our preparation program is the Interview Workshop we will conduct on the first day of the Hiring Conference. The workshop consists of interviewing classes, small group work, mock interviews, and briefings on all of the companies and positions. While our interview workshop is a vital step in your overall preparation, we cannot make you an outstanding interviewer in one day, so you must diligently work through the first three steps of the program on your own, prior to the Hiring Conference.
Use the workshop as an opportunity to polish your skills, address any last minute questions you may have, and give you the confidence to really excel during your interviews the next day.
We are confident that if you follow these 4 steps to prepare for conference you should have a successful event and be on your way to your civilian career. Please contact your Recruiter if you have any questions or concerns; we are here to help you succeed!
Military Professionals Guide Webinar Series
Technician Careers with SpaceX
Orion is currently recruiting for Technician positions with SpaceX, a space transport company. Founded in 2002, SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets. SpaceX joined MIT’s Technology Review's list of the 50 most innovative companies in the world by in February 2011 by being the first commercial company to recover a spacecraft from orbit.
About 25 percent of SpaceX flights are for NASA, which hired the company to fly cargo to the International Space Station. The next launch for this purpose is scheduled for late February 2014. Click here to read about SpaceX’s most recent rocket launch.
These positions are all located at SpaceX’s Texas Test Site in McGregor/Waco, TX.
Learn more about these positions.
Interviews will be held in McGregor, TX, on January 17 for GSE Technician positions & January 24 for Instrument Technician position.
Click here to learn more or apply.
Interview January 24 for Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician Positions with Bridgestone
Orion has partnered by Bridgestone, a leading tire production company since the early 20th century to offer career opportunities for those seeking a rewarding career after the military. This is your chance to begin your career with a growing company.
We are currently recruiting for Service Technicians – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technicians in Des Moines, IA, Aiken, SC, and Wilson, NC. The Service Technician – Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician position is a multi-craft position in electrical, mechanical, and electronic skills.
To be qualified for this position, you must have an Associate’s degree in Electronics, General Technology, Robotics, or related field and 2+ years in industrial maintenance experience, or 3+ years similar experience plus military background.
Interview for Maintenance Technician positions in Des Moines, IA, at our San Diego Hiring Conference on January 23 & 24, 2014.
Click here for more information.
Interview January 24 for Maintenance Technician Careers with Intel
Orion is recruiting a large number of Maintenance Technicians in Salt Lake City, UT, for Intel, the world's largest semiconductor chip maker. This is your chance to begin your civilian career with an outstanding company, named on Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For” list for 2012; on Business Week's "Best Places to Launch a Career”; and most recently on CareerBliss.com’s list of the “Top 10 Happiest Companies For Veterans for 2012".
As a Maintenance Technician for IM Flash (a joint venture formed by Intel and Micron in 2006), you will be responsible for performing functions associated with all manufacturing operations, including working with engineers and manufacturing in set-up and calibration tasks; preventative maintenance; failure analysis, as well as performing rework and quality testing related to the process, and production of memory chips and logic.
Interview for Maintenance Technician positions in Salt Lake City, UT, at our San Diego Hiring Conference being held January 23 – 24.
Click here for more information.
Interview throughout January & February for Data Center Technician Careers with a Leading Global Provider of Online Services
Orion is currently recruiting for a large number of Data Center Technicians for a leading global provider of online services. This is your chance to begin your career with one of the world’s most recognized and respected companies.
As a Data Center Technician, you will be responsible for designing and operating some of the most sophisticated electrical and HVAC systems in the world. Responsibilities Include:
- Operating, monitoring and supporting all facilities activity at the data centers
- Taking ownership of the operation and maintenance of water pumps and treatment systems, HVAC, UPS, generators, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems
- Implementing best-in-class environmental practices
- Bringing the ideas of the Data Center Engineers to life and developing creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving efficiencies
- Ensuring that problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services and preventive maintenance, and that safety measures are being performed
- Responding to data center performance issues and outages to minimize recovery time from failures in emergency situations or abnormal conditions
- Helping inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems (e.g., piping, cooling, and non-critical electrical system components)
- Providing daily assistance to senior technicians by reading blueprints/schematics, conducting tours of systems and assessing their working order
Position Locations: Caldwell County, NC; Pryor, OK; Council Bluffs, IA; The Dalles, OR; Berkeley County, SC.
Salary: $55k-$65k, depending on experience.
Benefits: Full benefits, including potential bonus and stock grants.
- Associate's degree, trade school certification or other verifiable training in a relevant technical field (in lieu of degree, 2 years of relevant work experience).
- 2 years’ experience at journeyman or technician level in a critical environment, or 2 years of equivalent military related experience.
- Universal Refrigerant Handler’s certification is preferred for mechanical applicants.
- Data center, hospital or power plant experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units.
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours or when on-call.
Virtual interviews will be held for positions in Council Bluffs, IA, and Pryor, OK on:
- January 23
- February 6
- February 20
Click here to learn more or apply.
Senior Navy Nukes - Earn Tax-Free Income as a Shift Superintendent in Saudi Arabia
Orion International is currently recruiting Navy Nukes for Shift Superintendent positions in Saudi Arabia with a utility company seeking to optimize the safe, reliable and environmentally responsible generation of power and water.
Salary for these positions ranges from $100,000 - $120,000+, with the first $100K tax-free, and family accompaniment is approved. Additionally, the positions offer:
- Guaranteed holiday bonus equivalent to one month’s salary per year
- Annual performance related bonus between 0-3 months’ salary
- Beachfront luxury housing facilities complete with exclusive recreational center
- Daily transportation provided
- One free meal on working days
- Medical Insurance (100% company-paid)
- Life Insurance(100% company-paid)
- Entitlement to 30 days’ vacation every year with paid annual air tickets (Round Trip to point of origin).
We are seeking senior enlisted Navy Nukes with a four-year degree for these lucrative positions. You must be willing to live in Saudi Arabia for at least 13 months and must be able to start your new career within the next one to five months.
Click here to learn more.
Technical Careers with Phillips 66
Orion is recruiting for a large number of technical positions with Phillips 66, an advantaged downstream energy company. This opportunity is brought to military veterans exclusively through Orion. Phillips 66 seeks strong former Military candidates with great leadership, solid education, great technical skills and relatable experience.
Phillips 66 National Military Hiring Days: On February 6th – 7th, Phillips 66 will be holding interviews at several different refineries throughout the country, for positions including:
- Instrument Technicians
- Pump and Engine Mechanics
- Truck Drivers
- Machinists - Wood River Refinery
- Carpenter- Wood River Refinery
- Pipefitters- Wood River Refinery
- Truck Driver – Wood River Refinery
- Laborer – Wood River Refinery
- Instrument Technician – Wood River Refinery
- And Many Others!
Please click here for more information.
Careers with ConocoPhillips
Orion International is currently recruiting for multiple career opportunities with ConocoPhillips, one of the world’s largest independent Exploration and Production companies based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With over 17,000 employees worldwide ConocoPhillips is active in almost 30 countries.
ConocoPhillips explores for, produces, transports and markets crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, liquefied natural gas and bitumen on a worldwide basis. Key focus areas include safely operating producing assets, executing existing major projects, and exploring for new resources in promising areas.
We are currently recruiting for:
- Utility Person (Click here for details on this position.)
- Mess Person (Click here for details on this position.)
- Able-Bodied Seaman (Click here for details on this position.)
- I&E Technician
- Network Analyst
- Rotating Equipment Supervisor
- Compression Technician
- Multi-Skilled Operator
- Project Field Scheduler
- Project Planner
- Project Lead Planner
Click here to learn more and apply to be considered.
Wind Turbine Technician Careers with Gemini Energy Services
Gemini Energy Services, a Division of Orion International, is Seeking Wind Turbine Technicians for Traveling Field Technician Positions.
Gemini’s mission statement is to create solutions to complex wind turbine commissioning, operations, maintenance, service and installation challenges through a superior workforce, rigorous training, and safe operations.
Gemini has a focus on hiring former military men and women because of their highly technical backgrounds; they include avionics technicians, radar technicians, aviation electricians, electronics technicians, and more. Prior military technicians make ideal Gemini Turbine Technicians due to the similarities between their technical backgrounds (including component-level electronic and mechanical troubleshooting) and actual equipment within the industry. These skill sets are applicable and necessary because of the increasingly advanced equipment being installed as wind technology evolves.
Gemini's services to the wind industry include:
• Operations and Maintenance
• Construction Support
• Major Component Changeout
• Warranty Services
• Remote Monitoring
Wind Turbine Technician Description:
This position is responsible for the installation, commissioning, and maintenance of wind turbine generators. You will perform testing, troubleshooting and repair of mechanical and electrical problems on variable pitch, variable speed turbines. You will assist in other areas of site construction, installation and commissioning as required and directed by designated site supervision.
Salary: $18/hour, plus overtime (average of 10-20 hrs of overtime per week when traveling).
Location: You can live anywhere in the United States within a reasonable distance to an airport.
Requirements: This position is a traveling position and you must be able to travel up to 6 weeks at a time and work up to 50-60 hours per week if needed, to meet project and maintenance schedules. You will perform weekend operations and repair of wind turbine generators as needed. You need the ability to consistently climb wind turbine towers up to 300 feet in height, up to 3 times a day.
To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Familiarity with Direct Current Electricity, Alternating Current Electricity and Electronics.
- Familiarity with Voltage Testers, Multimeters, Amp Clamps, Oscilloscopes, Meghommeters, Infrared Testers, Voltage Test Procedures, Lock Out Tag Out, Electric Static Discharge (ESD), Hydraulics, Accumulator Charging, Crane Hand Signals, Soldering, Fasteners, Torquing, Hytorques, Fiber Optics, First Aid.
- Must have clean DMV record and ability to operate service trucks as required.
- Ability to train other employees in operations, maintenance & repair procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Click here to learn more.
Electrical Maintenance Technician Positions with a Worldwide Steel Manufacturer
Orion is currently recruiting for Electrical Maintenance Technician positions with a worldwide steel manufacturer. This is an excellent opportunity to use your military technician training, skillset, and experience to start or establish a great career with a leader in the steel industry
Locations: East Chicago, IN and Burns Harbor, IN
Salary: $65K - $75K, depending on the amount of overtime you work.
Shift Work: Yes, successful candidates must be able to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays. Shift work may encompass 8, 10, or 12-hour work shifts.
- 3 years electrical maintenance experience; completion of a certified training or apprenticeship program preferred
- Must be competent in AC and DC industrial controls, automation systems and sensors, DC power converters, motor control and maintenance, and crane repair
- Ability to install (including conduit bending and wiring installation), troubleshoot, and repair or adjust various types of electronic, electrical, mechanical, combustion, instrumentation or control systems, and related equipment is preferred
- Knowledge of PLCs, AC and DC drives, the National Electric Code, and the ability to use electrical test equipment and computers is desired; Successful candidate may be required to perform maintenance on AC and DC power systems, up to and including 13.8KV
- Excellent work attendance record, ability to report to work as scheduled, flexibility to work overtime as needed or directed.
Click here to learn more.
Technical Careers with Siemens Corporation
Orion is currently recruiting for a large volume of technical positions across all segments of Siemens Corporation within the U.S.
Over the last ten years, Orion has placed over 520 former and transitioning military job seekers into great careers within Siemens divisions including Building Technologies, Water, Healthcare & Medical, Energy and Mobility. Siemens is ranked #47 on the Fortune Global 500, and # 1 on the Electronics and Electrical Equipment Industry list. Siemens is the second largest non-government employer in the world, reporting worldwide revenue exceeding $103 Billion in 2012.
- Field Service and Field Operations;
- Technical and Service Support;
- Materials and Logistics;
- Quality Assurance and Control;
- Facilities and Project Engineering.
To be considered for these positions you must be a Military Technician with an Electronics, Electrical, HVAC or AC & R background.
Please visit us online if you are interested in learning more.
Route Sales Representative Careers with Nestlé Waters
Orion is recruiting for Route Sales Representatives with Nestlé Waters, a bottled water division of the Nestlé Group, a multinational food and beverage company. This is your chance to begin your civilian career with globally recognized company in the food and beverage industry.
These positions are located in Phoenix, AZ; Framingham, MA; Houston, TX; Dallas, TX; Lanham, MD; Dracut, MA; Syosset, NY; San Francisco, CA; Long Island City, NY; Oakland, CA; Elmsford, NY; Pennsauken, NJ; Jersey City, NJ; and Kearny, NJ.
We will be holding interviews for Route Sales Representative positions on the following dates:
- Long Island City, NY
- January 22nd, with field rides occurring on January 23rd
Click here to learn more.
Technical Positions with Honeywell
Orion is currently recruiting for a large volume of technical, engineering, operations, sales and project management positions for Honeywell within the U.S.
- Technical Opportunities - Nationwide
- Front Line Supervisor - Rotational Training Program - Multiple Locations
Click here to learn more.
Maintenance Positions with The Hershey Company
Careers with PCC Forged Products
Orion is currently recruiting for PCC Forged Products. Under its Forged Products division, PCC is the world-leading producer of complex forgings and high-performance nickel-based alloys and super alloys for aerospace, power generation, and general industrial applications.
- Maintenance Supervisor (Click here for more info.)
- Operations Supervisor (Click here for more info.)
We are currently recruiting for positions in these locations:
- Houston, TX
- Grafton, MA
- Monroe, NC
- Huntington, WV
- Los Angeles, CA
To learn more, please click here.
Careers with Polaris Industries
Orion is currently recruiting for careers with Polaris Industries, an American manufacturer of snowmobiles, ATV, and neighborhood electric vehicles. This is an outstanding opportunity for transitioning and former military to begin your civilian career with a leading manufacturer of recreational vehicles, dedicated to continually improving the recreational riding experience.
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
- Plant Planner
- Production Supervisor
- Warehouse Supervisor
Click here to learn more or apply.
Manufacturing Careers in Dallas/Fort-Worth for Combat Veterans
Orion International is currently recruiting talented combat veterans for manufacturing positions with a leading plastics manufacturer in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, area. These are temporary-to-permanent positions, where you will be an Orion employee for the first 120 days with the expectation of becoming a permanent employee of our client after good performance during the first 120 days. In these positions, you will work seven out of 14 days on a rotating shift alternating between days and nights.
- Production Lead
- Maintenance Technician
- Machine Technician
- Machine Operator
- Recently and Honorably discharged veterans, no exceptions.
- OIF and OEF combat veterans preferred.
- Open to all MOSs and Branches but must possess strong mechanical acumen and proven mechanical aptitude.
- Must be open to working a rotating shift - must be available to work a non-traditional schedule that includes days, nights and weekends, no exceptions.
- NO RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE for this position. Must be a local candidate or able to readily self relocate, no exceptions.
Click here to learn more or apply.
According to your Peers
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Norfolk, VA (Midwest positions)
Virginia Beach, VA
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA
Upcoming Base Visits
NAS North Island
NS San Diego
NSB New London
NAS Whidbey Island
NSB New London
Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Workshop - January 31
Sultan Camp, an Orion Candidate Recruiter, will be hosting Senior NCO Workshops which are designed to help you draft an effective transition and career strategy that is current with the major trends for recruiting, employment and HR tech for 2014. These workshops are tailored specifically for E-7 - E-9 Non-Commissioned Officers.
No matter how far in advance your separation from the Navy may be, it's never too early to begin planning for your transition!
Time: 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
4525 South Boulevard, Suite 203
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
What you'll learn:
- Why a resume alone won't cut it anymore: sometimes a resume isn't your best tool in your job search/networking efforts.
- How to actually find a job while on active duty: six steps to effectively draft your job search strategy while in the uniform.
- How to effectively leverage recruiters in your job search: learn why recruiters are an essential part of your professional network.
- Advanced LinkedIn strategies for the military professional: tips and tools to ensure you experience great results from LinkedIn.
Click here to register.
Companies Recently Hiring
Google Data Centers
HSB Global Standards
Earn $100 for Every Referral that Finds their Career through Orion
Did you know that Orion candidates earned $3000 in referral bonuses in 2013?
For every job seeker you refer to us who is subsequently placed by Orion, we will give you a $100 gift card to a retailer of your choice!
It's simple - just click here to refer a friend. 30 seconds of your time could be $100 in your pocket!
Happy New Year from Orion International
Connect with Orion Online
Follow us to keep up-to-date on all things Orion, including hiring events, base visits, webinars, and news pertinent to veterans through our social media listed below.
Join Orion’s Military Network on LinkedIn
Join Orion on Facebook
Read Orion's Blog
Orion is Tweeting
Follow us on Google+