Sunday, June 1, 2014
Alumni in the News,
NEW - Orion LinkedIn Alumni page,
Congratulations to This Month's Winner!,
Commencement Speeches That Are Not Just For Graduates,
Career Opportunities Within Orion,
Join Orion's Aumni Club,
Refer a Military Job Seeker to Orion,
Connect With Orion
First Lady Michelle Obama and Orion Alumnus Aaron Wanless Celebrate the Third Anniversary of Joining Forces
April 23, 2014, marked the third anniversary of Joining Forces, a national initiative to give service members and their families the opportunities and support they have earned through employment, education, and wellness. To celebrate the occasion, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden visited the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, KY, at the Veterans Jobs Summit and Career Forum. The event not only announced the Administration's new Online Veterans Employment Center, but also featured Orion alumnus, Sergeant Aaron Wanless.
Alumni in the News
Not only does Orion recognize the excellence that our alumni bring to the civilian workplace, but so does the press! Our alumni continually succeed in their civilian endeavors and serve as examples of how their leadership qualities, technical experience, and intangibles, such as loyalty, work ethic, and integrity, benefit their chosen field. Read about our alumni in action below:
Kansas City Southern Announces Operations Department Reorganization
By: Business Wire, November 2013
KANSAS CITY, Mo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kansas City Southern (KCS) (NYSE: KSU) announced today the reorganization of several operations department functions.
"These organizational changes will ensure the U. S. operating team is well structured and prepared to manage our rapidly growing business. We continue to develop our team internally and grow individuals with tremendous leadership capabilities to build a stronger KCS," said KCS executive vice president and chief operating officer Dave Ebbrecht."
Kelly P. King has moved from director of network planning to the newly-created position assistant vice president advanced systems. She is responsible for KCS’ implementation of Positive Train Control and other real-time technology initiatives. Ms. King joined KCS in 2010 after serving as a Captain in the U.S. Army. She is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. .
NEW - Orion LinkedIn Alumni page
Orion has launched a page on LinkedIn specifically dedicated to Alumni, and we encourage you to follow this page for all Alumni-related Orion news! Click the image below!
Congratulations to This Month's Winner!
Commencement Speeches That Are Not Just For Graduates
With college graduations in full swing comes the commencement addresses from important, inspiring, and noteworthy people. The best graduation speeches offer wisdom and insight that college graduates as wel as the rest of us, can learn more for the rest of our professional and personal lives.
Below, Inc.com has highlighted some of the greatest commencement speeches and advice by influential and successful people that everyone can follow and consider.
J.K. Rowling said that you must not fear failure, no matter how grim things get.
The author of the highly successful Harry Potter series reflected to the Harvard class of 2008 about how she had hit rock bottom, but decided to continue on. “You might never fail on the scale I did, but some failure in life is inevitable,” she said. “You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more than any qualification I ever earned.”
Steve Jobs told graduates they must never settle.
The founder and CEO of Apple challenged Stanford University’s class of 2005 to live each day as if it were their last, especially touching since Jobs had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year earlier. He encouraged graduates to not settle for someone else’s expectations for their life, and instead love the work they do. “If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”
Sheryl Sandberg told graduates to not overthink it when life hands you an opportunity.
The Facebook COO and author of Lean In told Harvard Business School’s class of 2012 to not over analyze a great opportunity when it doesn’t exactly line up with your vision of your “five year plan.” Sandberg warned that over-critiquing an opportunity can lead to missed prospects in the future. “If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat. Just get on,” she said.
More commencement advice:
Conan O’Brien said that you must be willing to adapt to change and adjust your dreams.
Robert Krulwich told graduates that they should not wait for opportunities to be handed to them.
Oprah Winfrey said that you must learn to trust yourself.
David Foster Wallace told graduates to never forget that they are part of a much greater existence.
Stephen Colbert said that life is an improvisation, not something that can be figured out.
Kurt Vonnegut told graduates that they must refrain from holding grudges.
Ellen DeGeneres told graduates that true success is about being true to yourself.
Neil Gaiman warned that success can be more dangerous than failure.
Ann Patchett emphasized the importance of self-reflection.
These and many more commencement speeches offer invaluable advice not just for fresh graduates, but for everyone to consider and practice. Get inspired by those who have struggled and succeeded, and put into practice the advice that they offer. For more commencement speeches, check out NPR’s list of , going back to 1774!
Career Opportunities Within Orion
Become part of Orion's team! We are currently hiring for the following:
Account Executive - San Diego, CA; Austin, TX; and Raleigh, NC
Orion International is currently seeking transitioning or former military officers to join our Sales Team as an Account Executive in our San Diego, Austin, and Raleigh offices.
Account Executives are responsible for discovering and securing job opportunities for our military candidates.
Account Executive Essential Job Duties
- Create and maintain relationships with America's leading companies through development of a leads list, business development calls, onsite client presentations, and networking.
- Educate potential clients on the value of hiring military candidates.
- Grow and manage a portfolio of client accounts within your territory.
- Once a job order is received, discuss the specific opportunity with identified candidates by providing a complete background on the position, company, and industry.
- Through the final phases of the hiring process you will work with both the client and candidate to provide superior customer service and consultation to each.
- Required travel - Attend Hiring Conferences in your region between one and two times each month; additional occasional travel within your region to client locations.
Account Executive Qualifications
- Military Experience - You must be a former or transitioning military professional.
- Education - Bachelors Degree is required.
- Previous sales experience or a desire to succeed in sales.
- Excellent presentation skills, energetic, and motivated.
Compensation and Benefits
- Orion offers our Account Executives a competitive salary plus bonus structure that leads to a salary plus commission compensation structure.
- Orion provides a full benefits package to our employees including vacation and holidays, medical, dental, vision, LTD, STD, life insurance, and 401k.
A for this position, or with questions.
Enlisted Candidate Recruiter - Austin, TX
Orion is currently seeking an Enlisted Candidate Recruiter for our Austin, TX office.
• Work with candidates exiting the military and identify those who have the skills and abilities our clients are looking for.
• Source, screen, and match candidates for opportunities based on a variety of qualifications.
• Prepare candidates for interviews and work with them through the Orion pipeline, from sourcing, to acceptance of a job offer, and after they begin their new position.
• Daily activities will include but are not limited to: searching for candidates, cold calling candidates, screening candidates, identifying candidates for opportunities, and working with candidates on resume preparation and interviewing skills.
• You will travel to different military installations in your territory interviewing potential candidates. You will also travel to hiring conferences sponsored by Orion International.
Compensation and Benefits:
Orion is focused on being competitive in salary as well as developing its employees in a competitive job market environment. We offer a substantial salary plus bonus initially that will lead to a salary plus commission structure. We also include a 401k plan, medical and dental, disability, and profit sharing. At Orion, we believe in promoting our top performers in a company that is focused on growth.
• Must have served in the United States military - no exceptions.
• Must have military recruiting experience.
• Must live in the greater Austin area.
• A military technical background is desired.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please Apply now.
Army Officer Recruiter - Raleigh, NC
Orion is seeking a former Army Officer to join our Raleigh office as an Army Officer Recruiter. This is your opportunity to assist your fellow Veterans, while gaining invaluable recruiting experience in a high-paced sales environment. You will work with transitioning Army Officers and aid them in their transition from Active Duty into Corporate America.
Job Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Source and build relationships with Army Officers who are preparing for an upcoming transition into Corporate America.
- Travel to military bases within your assigned territory (Eastern and Midwest US) to give Career Transition Seminars and to meet with Officers, preparing them for their transition into the civilian workforce.
- Present webinars and conference calls on resume preparation, interview preparation, and career transition topics.
- Work with ACAP Centers and other key base contacts to develop relationships, a referral base, and to coordinate your visits.
- Generate referrals from the Officers with whom you work.
- Assist with resume creation and revision, career options and interview preparation.
- Conduct reference checks and verify the backgrounds of candidates.
- Match candidates with job openings that fit their background, experience, skill set, and preferences.
- Prepare candidates for interviews, get feedback following interviews and help guide the process through the point of receiving and accepting an offer.
- Provide recruiting support to fulfill the active job orders in your region as well as for national support targets.
- Provide training support to our Military Talent Partners, educating them on the military, officer roles and responsibilities, and value to their organization.
Salary: $60,000 base salary, plus commission (1st year expected earnings in the $70k+ range)
Benefits: Orion offers an industry-standard, comprehensive benefits package to include medical / dental / vision insurance (HSA and PPO options); 401k; life insurance; ADD/STD/LTD; vacation and paid holidays.
Location: Raleigh, NC
Travel Requirements: Approximately 2 to 3 times/month to military installations and/or hiring conferences within your assigned territory (~30% travel).
Career Progression: Move into Production Recruiter or Account Executive role (average earnings is greater than $100k/year).
- Recently transitioned Army Officer less than five years removed from Active Duty, or currently transitioning.
- Strong desire to assist fellow veterans and succeed in recruiting.
- Strong achievement profile, high energy, and the drive to succeed in a fast paced recruiting environment.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- USMA Graduate preferred.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please Apply now.
Join Orion's Alumni Club
As an Orion alum, your experience and guidance is a valuable asset to veteran job seekers who are now in the same position you were when searching for a career. Join Orion's Alumni Club if you'd be willing to share your expertise with current Orion job seekers or discuss options for hiring military with our Account Executives. Check out the Transition Corner for others who have participated in Orion's Alumni Club.
If you would like to participate, complete this form to be enrolled in Orion’s Alumni Club and entered into our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card.
Refer a Military Job Seeker to Orion
Do you know a military job seeker looking for a civilian career? For each referral that you give us, your name will be entered in our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card. Even better, if your referral is hired through Orion, you will receive a $100 gift card as our way of saying thanks.
Click here to refer a Military Job Seeker to Orion now!
Connect With Orion
Join Orion International's Alumni Group
Join Orion on Facebook
Read Orion's Blog
Follow us on Google+